Tuesday, November 15, 2011

November 14,1980...a day that will live on in INFAMY..well, at least for MY family it will

Yesterday was November 14th... DUH... Most likely for most of you, unless it's your birthday or your anniversary.. November 14th is just another day. For the folks in my immeditate family however, it's a day that will always carry a special meaning. I was born on September 10,1980. Shortly thereafter, I was officially given away for adoption by my biological mother. I don't know exactly when she made the decision that she would be unable to care for me, in the best possible manner for the rest of my life... I don't know much about her at all. All I know know is that she was 18 years old when she gave birth to me, and that I was her second daughter. Her family was raising her, AND helping her raise her other daughter..that she had when she was 15yrs old or so... and so adding another child to the mix might have been more than they could all handle.

As a child my emotions varied on the subject of my adoption. Because my adoption was a closed one, I went my entire childhood, not knowing a THING about my biological background. Ever the dreamer, I created MANY different stories about my biological family... One of my dad's brothers is named Bobby... Bobby Brown. I'm pretty sure that I told many inquisitive kids that my uncle was Bobby Brown... the singer. I KNOW for sure that Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, AND Paula Abdul ALL had the honor of being my biological mother...as well as MANY a gospel artist... And the truth of the matter is...they all very well COULD be as far as I know.... but it wouldn't matter much.

What DOES matter a LOT...and WHOLE LOT is that my biological mother, when faced with the hard decision of what to do with her 2nd child, chose to give me life...and to ask only one thing for the child that she very well may never see again. That I be placed in a loving home, with parents who would love me, and raise me in the ways of the Lord.

On November 14,1980 her request was granted, and Yasmin and David Brown...a sweet young couple from Atlanta,Georgia who'd recently relocated to Cincinnati,Ohio after marrying and completing college; became my parents. God could not have been more benevolent to me... a little "orphan" girl, who would prove to be more of a handful at times than any 2 parents should EVER have to handle. I had nothing to do with the way that I came into the world, and I had even less to do with who God placed me with. All I know is that on November 14,1980, my life was set on a remarkable path. David and Yasmin Brown, went before the courts of Ohio and vowed to take care of me.... and I can't imagine my world without them!! THANKS MOM AND DAD!!! I love and thank you!!! Happy Belated Adoption Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment