Sunday, November 13, 2011

the BIIIIIIIIBLE says...

An excerpt from the chapter of Luke was used in today's Sermon at my church in Orlando. Luke 6:37. The whole scripture "judge not, and ye shall not be judged"...scripture that is often misquoted, or taken out of context by both Non-Christians and Christians alike... How often have you heard someone say.. " the BIIIIIBLE says"... and while i've stopped there... how come when folks quote the bible.. in the WRONG way... they like to kinda SING the word Bible... their tone going UP on the "iiiiii" part of "bible"...ugh... makes me wanna kick 'em in their throat.... lol.

Anyway, how many times have you heard someone say " the bIIIIIIIble says, JUDGE NOT." ? UUUUGGGGH... I've heard it too many times to keep count... and it always makes me cringe a little bit!! Lol... that's NOT what the Biiiiible says at all... the REAL scripture says "judge not and ye shall not be judged: condemn not and ye shall not be condemned: forgive and ye shall be forgiven.." Luke 6:38 goes on to say... and is the actual POINT of my blog today "Give and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together and running over,shall men give into your bosom."

Before I get serious, I'd just like to take a moment to say... that it's ALREADY been given to me...to the FULL in the region of my bosom.... Is there a blessing of minimalism that I can speak over my life?? Heavens... that scripture sounds more like a description of a few of my BRAS than something I'd like to speak over myself... lol I'm kidding... but no,seriously.

I want to focus on the 38th verse of Luke 6 because very seldom have I heard this text of Luke preached in full context. More usually, I've heard the parts about judging not... and USUALLY somewhere during offering time... I've heard vs.38 read and taught from. Most of the time it's in attempt to encourage us in the church, that if we give unto the Lord...monetarily... he'll bless us to the point that we won't be able to even CONTAIN it... it'll be pressed down, like you do flour or sugar..when you want to get a lot in the cup... and THEN, the blessing will be running over.

Well, as I read the scripture today in church...it dawned on me that perhaps I've both read and heard it taught out of context. I mean, i'm sure that there IS financial blessing that can be learned from the scripture but what if there's more than meets the eye. Secularists, Christians, and Krishnans alike have a multitude of sayings that remind us to be "good" to our neighbor. We talk about Karma. "What goes around, comes around" and almost EVERYONE refers to the "Golden Rule"...

Vs.38 appeared to me in a new light.... not so much about how I should give of my finances, but just another reminder of how I should treat those around me with as much grace as possible. In turn, when it's MY time on the "hot seat", and I'M the one in need of a kind word, some grace, or forgiveness.... An abundance will be ready for me. If I'm quick to be critical and judgemental of others... with that SAME spirit, I'll be treated. Or if I'm quick to extend mercy and forgiveness... A mete of mercy and forgiveness will be given unto me that's SO hefty and generous in portion, by those around me...that my bosom will be overflowing. Now, listen. Like I mentioned earlier... i'm JUST about as full as I'd like to be in my bosom region. But if grace,forgiveness,understanding and mercy are gunna be given to me in such a LARGE portion... I'll store it there...and just about anywhere else that I can get it....

You may have already figured out this simple little idea a LONG time ago.. but it was nice to get a soft, heavenly reminder today in church.

Be blessed. AND... Be nice!! Lol (YUP...DEFINATELY preaching to myself on THAT one!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment