Friday, March 8, 2013

Certain trees bear a strange fruit

For the past long while now, I've been watching this 10 part documentary by Ken Burns on the history of Jazz music, in America. I learned ALOT! It's one of those things where I'm glad that it's on Netflix, because each show is packed with SO much information, it's hard to retain everything that's been said.

When you think of Jazz music, depending on who you are, a variety of sounds and artists come to mind. If you're not a musician, then it's most likely that only those artists whose music can still be found playing in some element, will come to your mind. If you're a musician then your knowledge of Jazz may run deeper and much older, less prominent artists may come to mind.

One of my favorite vocal artists of the jazz era, was Billie Holiday. I was first introduced to she and her story when I was just a young child and my parents allowed me to see the movie "Lady Sings the Blues", where Diana Ross stars as Billie and Billy Dee Williams as the man who tried to love her. Diana Ross did an excellent job portraying Billie.. She sang all of the songs on the movie soundtrack. But NObody, sang Billie..like Billie. There was so much pain and heartache, as well as beauty in her tone. Her voice told her story. Even when she wasn't necessarily trying to do so. However, my favorite song of hers begins, "Southern trees bear strange fruit..." It's speaks of the era that she lived through where as a black performer, one minute while on stage you could be a legend. But the moment you stepped off of the stage, the world quickly reminded you of your place as a 2nd class citizen... If even REALLY a citizen at all.. The "fruit" she was referring to on southern trees, were the bodies of black men and women who had been hung, beaten, and torched, and left to hang, as a reminder to all blacks who saw them...to stay in their place.

Like I said earlier, I learned ALOT by watching the show. I learned that many performers in the early jazz era, due to the stresses of life as black entertainers and other "demons" they faced internally, turned to drugs, alcohol and all kinds of sources, seeking solace.

One famous Jazz Sax' player named Charlie Parker, became addicted to Heroine at 17 yrs old. He was SO addicted, he'd do just about anything to get a "fix". He even made a deal with a drug dealer, for half of ALL of his earnings, in return for Heroine. When his dealer got busted by the police and was jailed, Charlie would drink as much as a quart of whiskey a DAY, to compensate.

On July 29, 1946, he showed up SO incredibly drunk someone had to physically hold him in place so that he could play. A Dr.gave him 6 tablets of phenylbarbitol (sp?), to bring him back to his senses.. Even still, as sick and drunk as he was, he was able to render several songs in just ONE take. It was said that when sober, after hearing the recording, Charlie felt that the record should have been destroyed. He was so disgusted with it, and himself. His fans, disagreed. His acolytes learned every note and every "lick" he played note for note. Some have said it was his best work. Which brings me to my point (AND THE CROWD GOES WILD....lol, FINALLY THE DERN POINT!!)

I've listened to the recording that I just mentioned, and it's so beautiful to me, words fail to describe it. It's heart wrenching and I can hear the pain of his heart, seeping thru his horn, but it's sheer beauty. Sometimes it's in our darkest hours, emotionally and spiritually that our most beautiful "music" is created. Sometimes being at our lowest low, yields the most beautiful song. The most honest words, the most sincere worship. It's hard to push thru, when  EVERYTHING around you seems out of control.

Being heart sick, wounded, exhausted, depressed, and just plain weary, SUCKS, and I will be the FIRST one to admit that, because I've been there.

A mentor, whose personal testimony mirrors my own, in many ways once told me that in moments like the ones I've just listed, when I come to God in worship whether in private or before an audience of thousands, that God doesn't need me to pretend for his sake that everything is perfect, or that I feel no pain. On the contrary he desires that I bring ALL of that with me, while I worship. If I'm in pain physically, I worship from there. If my heart has been broken, I worship from there. It's about sincerity. "Keepin' it real"! Why? Because that's the example Christ showed us. Moments before he was to be seized and taken to be crucified, we can read in scripture that Jesus himself cried out to God and asked if there was ANY way, ANY OTHER way at ALL, that he could still fulfill his purpose here on earth without having to not only did, but be publically humiliated, spit on, lied on, accused and finally killed in the most  painful way possible, let it be.

Of course we know that he concluded his prayer with a resolve to go thru the task that was set before him.

Life is hard, the economy stinks, money is tight, friends and family die suddenly.. As the saying goes, bad things happen to good people.... Quite frequently I add... I just want to let you know that sometimes, in those painful moments... Our "song" is the most sweet it will ever be.

SO... Keep on "singing". Let the music play, and let God get the glory out of your life's testimony.


1 comment:

  1. Nice commentary. Hattie and Edgar first introduced me to Billie Holiday!

    ReplyDelete